Tuesday 12 February 2013

It's flippin' Pancake Day!


Pancake Day is flippin' amazing. As far as I'm aware, it's the only day in the year that's dedicated solely to food and celebrated by many. It's a day of collective eating, of celebrating the joys of lemon and sugar and filling our bellies with Nutella. It's an excuse to only eat dessert for dinner. It also marks the fact that it's only a few short weeks until Easter - which, of course, is every chocoholics dream. Obviously Pancake Day comes laden with a whole load of religious connotations too, but I tend to brush past those - I find that thinking about a man being nailed to a cross and left to die whilst I'm devouring a pancake or ten does not a happy eating experience make.

There is very little in the world that beats a good pancake. When we were kids, we always used to celebrate Pancake Day with our friends - four sisters - who lived down the road. Every year the Quinn girls - as they are still collectively known - and my sister and I used to huddle round the stove at their house, always using the same small frying pan to make the most delicious pancake concoctions. With enough batter to feed six numerous times over, we used to spend what seemed like hours and hours eating sugary, pancakey treats. I'm pretty sure that Megan, the second oldest of the Quinn girls, once threw up from eating too many.

At Uni I discovered the joy of pancake parties, of experimenting with savoury pancakes, and testing how well they went with alcohol.

These days it's a slightly more sombre affair due to the fact it always falls in the middle of the working week (seriously, whoever wrote the Bible should have thought a bit more carefully about that one), but it's still something I look forward to every year without fail.

Today we followed Delia Smith's pancake recipe, which was extremely tasty. Fillings wise, I went for a combination of savoury and sweet, classic and experimental. Starting with a stilton and honey roast ham concoction, I swiftly moved on to nutella and banana and then lemon and sugar. Delicious.



What did you go for? Do you stick to the sweet or are you a fan of the savoury? And is there a pancake recipe that you think I should try?


No comments:

Post a Comment